[gigya src=”https://s3.amazonaws.com/boos.audioboo.fm/swf/fullsize_player.swf” flashvars=”mp3=https%3A%2F%2Faudioboo.fm%2Fboos%2F1846060-a-phrasal-verb-a-day-11-to-crack-up.mp3%3Fsource%3Dwordpress&mp3Author=LukeThompson&mp3LinkURL=https%3A%2F%2Faudioboo.fm%2Fboos%2F1846060-a-phrasal-verb-a-day-11-to-crack-up&mp3Time=08.15pm+11+Jan+2014&mp3Title=A+Phrasal+Verb+a+Day+%2311+-+to+crack+up+” width=”500″ height=”160″ allowFullScreen=”true” wmode=”transparent”]
Subscribe [iTunes] [AudioBoo] [RSS] Download
1. To become mentally ill. “He couldn’t take the pressure any more and he cracked up”
2. To suddenly start laughing, to burst out laughing. “someone farted in the classroom and everyone cracked up!“
Hello, ladies and gentlemen.
This is Luke from Luke’s English Podcast.
I hope that you’re having a good weekend.
This year I’m teaching you a phrasal verb every single day. Today’s phrasal verb is TO CRACK UP.
Yesterday, we had TO CRACK DOWN ON crime. Well, today we’ve having the expression TO CRACK UP. It’s got two meanings.
The first meaning is to go a little bit mad, like to go mentally ill, usually, because of pressure or stress.
TO CRACK UP.
– “I can’t take it anymore. Any more pressure and I’m gonna CRACK UP”.
– “Did you hear about John? Yeah, he couldn’t just take it anymore.”
– “Yeah, he’s CRACKED UP”
– “Any more pressure and he’s gonna CRACK UP!”
So, CRACK UP means, kind of, to go mentally ill, usually, because of pressure.
The other meaning of this is a lot more like-hearted and TO CRACK UP also means to suddenly start laughing, to burst out laughing, for example.
for example: Let’s see…
“Someone farted in the class room and everyone just CRACKED UP”, meaning to start laughing.
– “I couldn’t help it, I just CRACKED UP! It was hilarious!”
– “I CRACKED UP!”
So, it doesn’t take an object, this phrasal verb, you just CRACK UP, you don’t
CRACK UP on something or CRACK UP something. (or crack something up) You just CRACK UP.
– “I was listening to Luke’s English Podcast on the train and he said something funny and I just CRACKED UP! Everyone looked at me as if I was a weirdo.”
That’s it for this one.
There will be another one of these tomorrow.
But for now it’s goodbye.
Bye bye by