Subscribe [iTunes] [AudioBoo] [RSS] Download
= to look at someone in a way that shows that you find them sexually attractive ;)
P.s. Do not use my chat up lines – they are terrible.
Hello ladies and gentlemen.
How are you? This is Luke from Luke’s English Podcast. This year I’m teaching you a phrasal verb every day.
And… today’s phrasal verb is TO EYE UP
TO EYE someone UP.
“EYE” – like the eyes on your face that you use to look at things.
TO EYE someone UP.
Now, TO EYE someone UP means that you look at someone in a way that shows that you’re sexually attracted to them. So, it’s kind of to look at someone in a seductive way, because you fancy them.
So, let’s imagine a situation. You’re in a bar. You’re standing there. You’re dressed very nicely. You’re drinking a Martini (shaken, not stirred) and on the other side you see a beautiful woman. I’m assuming that you’re a man in this situation. Over on the other side of the bar you see a beautiful woman, and she’s gorgeous, and she’s looking at you. In fact, she’s looking at you in a very seductive manner, and you think to yourself:
– “Hello, is she EYEING me UP? I think I might be in here”
You think to yourself:
– “I’m gonna just stroll over there and maybe try and chat her up. Maybe ask her out.”
you know? Who knows… So, you kind of, you pick up your Martini, you wander over, and you say to her:
– “Hello. Hey, Sugar! I noticed you EYEING me UP over there. I just thought to come over and say – hi!”
– “Oh, yeah. No sorry. I thought you were someone else. I’m not wearing my glasses, and, you know, I thought that you were someone else.”
and you go:
– “Oh, right. I see. Well, I guess since I’m here, do you fancy a drink?”
and she goes:
– “Oh, no. It’s alright. I’m leaving in a minute. I’m just waiting for my husband to come out of the toilet – Oh! Here he is now!”
and you look over, and here’s the husband coming out of the toilet, and basically. It’s The Incredible Hulk.
so, you go:
– “Oh, well, never mind. I’ll just be going then. I’ve got to dash off. Thanks. Bye! Bye!”
There you go – TO EYE someone UP.
There you go. That’s it.
There will be another one of these tomorrow.
Bye for now.
Bye bye bye bye…