Professor David Crystal returns to talk about his latest books, and more. The first book is all about the art of conversation in English, and the second one is a spy thriller inspired by real events. David Crystal is one of the world’s leading linguists and an expert on the English language. He is also a national treasure and it’s a treat to be able to talk to him in this episode. Video version also available on the Luke’s English Podcast YouTube channel.
YouTube Video Version
Some of his most popular books include:
- The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language
- The Oxford Illustrated Shakespeare Dictionary
- The Story of English in 100 Words
- You Say Potato: The Story of English Accents (written with his son Ben)
- Wordsmiths and Warriors: The English-Language Tourist’s Guide to Britain (Written with his wife Hilary)
- Txting: The Gr8 Db8
- Pronouncing Shakespeare: The Globe Experiment – a fascinating project investigating how English was pronounced by the original actors in the Globe Theatre when Shakespeare was alive
- Spell It Out: The Curious, Enthralling and Extraordinary Story of English Spelling
- Just A Phrase I’m Going Through: My Life in Language (which is both his autobiography and a highly accessible introduction to the field of linguistics)
- Making Sense: The Glamorous Story of English Grammar
Many of those titles can be purchased as ebooks from David Crystal’s website – www.davidcrystal.com or from any good bookseller. There are also audiobook versions which are read out by the man himself.