An update from my dad about Brexit, including details about Boris Johnson’s deal, the shutting down of Parliament, the upcoming general election and more. Includes some chat about Premiership football at the end.
Last time we spoke it was early August. Boris Johnson had recently become the PM and was going to negotiate a new Brexit deal after Theresa May had failed to get Parliament to accept the deal she spent over 2 years to get. Brexit, at the time was due to happen on 31st October.
I just have one question, which is “What’s been going on?”
- I’m getting a sense of deja vu
- it’s a fudge / it was fudged
- “I’d rather be dead in a ditch than ask for another extension” – Boris Johnson
- Whips / The party whip
- The electorate
- To put/throw a spanner in the works
- To upset the apple cart
- A disreputable character
- To stand your candidate down
- None of this is spelled out but that’s what it means
- You can jump to your own conclusions
- Boris Johnson has refused point-blank
- He’s saying Parliamentary Democracy is now defunct
- The proroguing of parliament was null and void
- Is that a political coup?
- It would have been the biggest constitutional crisis since they cut Charles I’s head off
- They didn’t get away with it
So there you have it. That was the Rick Thompson Report, recorded on Wednesday 13 November 2019.
The comment section is open if you’d like to share your thoughts there.
New episodes of LEP Premium are coming. To sign up go to www.teacherluke.co.uk/premium
Also download my app to get the entire archive plus loads of bonus extras like the phrasal verb series, various videos and also bonus app only episodes. You can also access the premium subscription through the app.
Thanks for listening and I’ll speak to you again on the podcast soon!