THE ARCHIVE OF ALL EPISODES OF L.E.P. + extra content
452. A Conversation About Language (with Amber & Paul) Discussing language with Amber & Paul, including issues such as errors made by native speakers, language change, whether language standards are declining, the effects of technology on language and how to cut an avocado without injuring yourself.
451. Film Club: Alien Covenant Rambling about the Alien franchise and a review of the new film “Alien: Covenant”.
450. Comments & Questions Going through questions from the comment section with some grammar, some vocab, some reactions to recent episodes and some bits relating to how you can continue to push your English with this podcast.
449. Film Club: Touching the Void (Part 2) Part 2 of this Film Club episode looking at the award-winning documentary “Touching the Void” which tells the story of a mountain climbing expedition which goes wrong. Listen to this episode and then watch the film on Netflix or DVD for that extra bit of English input.
448. Film Club: Touching The Void (Part 1) A film club episode about the award-winning documentary film “Touching the Void” about a mountain climbing expedition which goes wrong. It’s an amazing true story and there are lots of things to learn from it, including lessons about motivation and attitude towards any challenge.
447. What is this, British Humour? (with Amber Minogue) Talking to Amber about the subject of my recent British Council Teacher Talk. What is British humour? What does it tell us about British culture and communication style? What are the typical forms of humour in the UK?
446. British TV: Top Gear Talking about Top Gear, one of the UK’s most popular television programmes. This episode features lots of vocabulary related to cars, but a lot more too including your guide to how to speak like Jeremy Clarkson.
445. British Podcast Award / Hello to New Listeners / 17 Vocabulary Expressions LEP won the bronze medal in the Listeners’ Choice category at The British Podcast Awards. Thanks for voting!
444. The Rick Thompson Report: Snap General Election 2017 Politics is back on LEP as I talk to my Dad about recent developments in the UK, specifically the General Election which is due to take place on 8 June.
443. The Trip to Japan (Part 2) Describing my recent trip to Japan and exploring the culture of the Land of the Rising Sun.
442. The Trip to Japan (Part 1) Describing my recent trip to Japan and exploring the culture of the Land of the Rising Sun.
441. Andy Johnson at the IATEFL Conference Talking to Andy about the world’s biggest conference for English teaching, plus more conversation about millennials, advice on giving presentations and some fun anecdotes.
440. This Pile of Books on my Desk Talking about a pile of 16 (mostly) unread books which has been sitting on my desk for months.
439. Reading Books to Learn English Recommending some self-study books for improving your grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary, talking about the value of reading for your English and some ways you can use books to improve your English in general.
438. Hi Luke, I have a question! Another episode done in a similar style to the last one, with some news, some rambling and some questions and comments from the website. Topics in this episode will include: My live comedy show in Tokyo on 13 April, LEPster meetups, humour, grammar, understanding TV and Movies, Breaking Bad, Logan and more…
437. Ramble News – 31 March 2017 A rambly episode with some news from the UK, some comments, some questions, some updates about LEPster meetups in Moscow, Tokyo and London and so on.
436. The Return of The Lying Game (with Amber & Paul) [Video] Amber, Paul and I play another round of The Lying Game, in which we each tell a story and the others have to guess if it’s true or a lie. Listen for story telling, questions and general fun, plus some jokes at the end of the episode. Video available.
I was interviewed on “My Fluent Podcast” by Daniel Goodson I talked to Daniel about learning French, doing LEP and plans for the future.
435. Catching Up With Amber & Paul #5 [Video] Amber & Paul are back on the podcast in this episode as we respond to some questions and comments from the website and social media. Video available.
434. Interview with Paul Taylor – “WTF France?” [Video] Interviewing Paul Taylor about his comedy projects, including “What the F*ck France” on Canal+ / Youtube and his stand-up shows #Franglais and The Paul Taylor Comedy Night. Video available.
433. British TV: Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares (Part 2) [Video] Learn more authentic English directly from the mouths of these native speakers in an episode of the popular British TV show “Kitchen Nightmares” with famous chef Gordon Ramsay. Videos and vocabulary lists available below.
432. British TV: Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares (Part 1) [Video] An introduction to one of the UK’s most famous chefs and a chance to learn some authentic English from a popular British TV show featuring Gordon Ramsay. Video available. Includes swearing.
LEP on ZEP – My recent interview on Zdenek’s English Podcast I was interviewed again by Zdenek Lukas on his podcast. We talked about teaching and podcasting, including some behind-the-scenes stories of LEP. Zdenek uses his particular set of skills to analyse 50 bits of grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation from the interview.
431. Restaurants & Hotels / Really Strange TripAdvisor Reviews (with Amber) Talking to Amber about experiences in restaurants & hotels and some truly bizarre TripAdvisor reviews.
430. Discussing Language Learning & Life with Fred Eyangoh Talking to Fred about history, geography, comedy, learning English and cutlery.
429. RAMBLENEWS! An episode with some rambling about recent news, LEPster meetups, transcript project team, listener comments & questions, teaching phrasal verbs with ‘in on’ and some music. Video available.
428. British Comedy: Limmy’s Show (Part 2) Analysis of another sketch from Limmy’s Show. Listen to informal English spoken in a Glasgow accent, and understand it.
427. British Comedy: Limmy’s Show An episode analysing some British comedy, this time focusing on a couple of sketches from Limmy’s Show, an award-winning TV comedy produced by BBC Scotland.
426. Thompson, Taylor & Minogue: Victorian Detectives (Part 2) with Amber & Paul Listen to the conclusion of this mystery story in which Amber, Paul and I attempt to solve a series of kidnappings in Victorian London.
425. Thompson, Taylor & Minogue: Victorian Detectives (Part 1) with Amber & Paul Listen to Amber, Paul and me as we attempt to solve a series of mysterious kidnappings in Victorian London.
424. With Andy & Ben from The London School of English (Part 2) Talking to Andy Johnson and Ben Butler about teaching English to millennials, cross-cultural experiences we’ve had as English teachers and some funny stories about Andy.
423. With Andy & Ben from The London School of English (Part 1) Talking to Andy Johnson and Ben Butler from The London School of English about many things including teaching English for specific purposes, and a couple of funny anecdotes.
422. Learning British Dialects with Korean Billy Talking to Billy from Korea about his videos on British dialects and accents.
421. Skateboarding – A New Olympic Sport (with James) A conversation with my brother about this new Olympic sport including the history, the different types, the vocabulary and some personal stories and memories about skateboarding from childhood into adulthood.
420. Anyone fancy a brew? Let’s have a nice cup of tea! Everything you need to know about the culture of tea-drinking in the UK, including a full guide to how to make a nice cup of tea, English style.
419. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – SPOILER RAMBLE with James Talking to my brother about the latest Star Wars film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. SPOILER ALERT!
418. The Rick Thompson Report: Technology and The Future (January 2017) Talking to my Dad about developments in technology in the future.
417. New Year’s Resolutions and Language Learning in 2017 Talking about typical new year’s resolutions in the UK, my resolutions about learning French, and ideas in which you can improve your English this year.
416. What was the most popular episode of LEP in 2016? + more podcast statistics An overview of how 2016 was for Luke’s English Podcast including some details about the top 5 episodes, the top 20 countries, and more statistics for the last 12 months.
415. With the Family (Part 3) More Encounters with Famous People My mum, dad and brother tell us a few more anecdotes about their encounters with some well-known people.
414. With the Family (Part 2) My Uncle Met a Rock Star Listen to my uncle Nic telling some stories about British rock stars he has met over the years, including an encounter with one of the most famous musicians in the world!
413. With The Family (Part 1) Mum’s Cooking + Vocabulary (with Uncle Nic) A conversation with my family about how to cook a delicious Turkey dinner and some vocabulary teaching.
412. British Festivals and Holidays (Part 2) An episode all about special days and celebrations in the British calendar. Cultural information and some pronunciation work.
411. British Festivals and Holidays (Part 1)
A Quick Message About Donations – Please consider donating to “Doctors Without Borders” to help people in need
410. Teaching 12 Idioms in the Street / On the Set of Paul’s TV Show (with Amber) Amber & I teach you 12 idiomatic English phrases while attending the filming of an episode of Paul Taylor’s TV show on the street in Paris.
409. A CHRISTMAS MEGA-RAMBLE with AMBER MINOGUE A rambling conversation with Amber about Christmas and more!
408. Catching Up With Amber & Paul #4 (+ videos) Amber & Paul are back on the podcast and we do the usual catching-up session and go off on a few tangents about Amber’s play, Paul’s showbiz life, marshmallows, microphones, tea & coffee, accents and more. There are videos for the intro and outro of this episode.
407. Reflections on Language Learning & Working as a Translator: Interview with Kristina from Russia, Winner of the LEP Anecdote Competition 2016 In conversation with Kristina from Russia, the winner of the LEP anecdote competition 2016. Talking about working as a translator and interpreter, and her experiences of learning English and other languages.
406. Grammar (Past Continuous Tense) / UK Media Bias / Brazil Football Tragedy A review of the differences between past continuous tense and past simple tense, comments on the UK media including the BBC and an overview of the newspapers, and some comments about the recent plane crash involving members of the Chapecoense football team from Brazil.
405. British Accents in The Lord of the Rings (Part 2) A closer look at the different British accents you can hear in the Lord of the Rings movies.
404. British Accents in The Lord of the Rings (Part 1) Explaining the different accents you can hear in the Lord of the Rings movies.
403. Competition Results / War Story / Grammar & Punctuation / My Dad’s Accent The final results of the LEP Anecdote Competition and some comments & emails from listeners including a war story, some grammar & punctuation (noun phrases, possessives & apostrophes) and a question about my Dad’s accent.
402. The Rick Thompson Report: What’s Going On? Nov. 2016 (Post-Truth Politics, Cricket and Tetris) Talking to my Dad about recent news, including a Brexit update, comments about post-truth politics and more.
401. ‘Switch off your editor’ to improve your fluency in English Advice about how you can use this creativity boosting technique to push your fluency in English.
400. The Pink Gorilla Story 2 Having fun in the 400th episode with another improvised comedy story.
399. The Return of Molly Martinez (with Dane Nightingale) Talking with two American friends (including Molly from episodes 198 & 199) about TV journalism, how the Internet works, the US presidential election results, California’s new marijuana laws and puffins.
398. US Election Result Ramble + Message + Song First impressions of the US Presidential Election, plus a message for my listeners and a song or two.
397. An 80-Minute Ramble Talking spontaneously about winter and some Netflix recommendations.
396. The LEP Anecdote Competition – ROUND 2 Listen to the 10 anecdotes that got through to round 2 of the competition and vote for your favourites.
395. “Have you ever…?” with Paul Taylor and Robert Hoehn Talking about life experiences and telling stories with a couple of friends.
394. OPP: Other People’s Podcasts (Part 4) Recommending some more of my favourite podcasts. You might like them too.
393. OPP: Other People’s Podcasts (Part 3)
392. What are the most essential skills of a good foreign language learner? Exploring responses to this question on quora.com – including plenty of advice and insights into some good ways to improve your English learning. Also, a quick chat with English Robot 3000, who has been in a box for about 3 years.
391. Discussing Language, Culture & Comedy with Alexander van Walsum A light-hearted chat with a comedian friend of mine who originally comes from The Netherlands but has also lived all over the world. We talk about cultural and linguistic differences in different countries, doing stand-up comedy and getting Darth Vader’s signature.
390. The Rick Thompson Report: Hard Brexit / U.S. Election A conversation with my dad about recent news events.
389. US Presidential Election 2016 – Trump vs Clinton (with Sarah & Sebastian) Part 2 A conversation with two American friends about Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.
388. US Presidential Election 2016 – Trump vs Clinton (with Sarah & Sebastian) Part 1
387. LEP Anecdote Competition Entries – Please listen & vote News about the latest competition, results of the recent podcast survey and the top countries for LEP downloads.
386. Breaking the Intermediate Plateau (Part 2) Is your learning slowing down? Finding it hard to make progress beyond an intermediate level? Listen to this episode to get lots of advice on breaking the intermediate plateau.
385. Breaking the Intermediate Plateau (Part 1)
384. Teaching Grammar & Social English A review of some of language points I have been teaching recently including some grammar, some social English and quite a lot of silly improvisation and musical interludes.
383. More Ian Moore The second part of my chat with British writer and comedian Ian Moore.
Please take my survey / Anecdote Competition / ‘Russian Joke’ Video A quick message asking listeners to take a survey about LEP, some comments about the anecdote competition and a video explaining the ‘Russian joke’.
382. Mod Culture with Ian Moore Conversation with author and comedian Ian Moore about the British ‘mod’ subculture.
381. Discussing Cultural Differences with Amber & Paul Comparing behaviour and communication styles in different cultures around the world.
380. Catching Up with Amber and Paul #3 More spontaneous conversation with podcast friends Amber Minogue and Paul Taylor.
379. The LEP Anecdote Competition Details of a new interactive competition for listeners.
378. Holiday in Thailand (Part 2) Part 2 of this description of my recent holiday in Thailand. You’ll hear more stories and descriptions including learning how to cook Thai curry, a conversation with a monk, doing yoga every day, a couple of messages from listeners and some reflections on gratitude, forgiveness and guidance.
377. Holiday in Thailand (Part 1) Stories and descriptions of my recent holiday in Thailand. You’ll hear some facts about Thailand, some descriptions of Bangkok and a few stories about funny experiences that happened while we were there.
I’m going on holiday – no podcasts for a while Just to let you know that there won’t be any podcasts for a while, and some more details including a little story.
376. A Game of Mini Golf and a Pint (with James) Conversation with my brother on a sunny afternoon in an English park. We talk about playing mini golf, life in a town vs life in London, the London riots of 2011 and more.
375. The LEP Pub Quiz (with Alex Love) Listen to Alex and me testing each other on our general knowledge, including a few language-related questions.
374. Alex’s Edinburgh Fringe Report I talk to Alex about his successful Edinburgh show and we talk about aspects of culture including hen and stag parties, male strippers and The Smurfs.
373. Who Wants to Be Good at English? Listen to an evil game show, created by my evil father, for evil purposes! Just kidding – this is a tricky word-quiz designed by my Dad to help his students of journalism realise how words are often used in the wrong way. It creates some discussion about the way the meanings of words evolve over time. Can you answer the questions correctly?
372. The Importance of Anecdotes in English / Narrative Tenses / Four Anecdotes This episode has a bit of everything: useful tips for telling anecdotes, a review of narrative verb tenses, some authentic spoken anecdotes by members of my family and some vocabulary explanations.
371. In Conversation with Rob Ager from Liverpool (PART 2: Film Analysis / Hidden Meanings / Stanley Kubrick / Conspiracy Theory) Rob Ager has built his own career as a film critic on YouTube. Now he sells his own documentaries about films on his website. This conversation explores the subjects of his film analysis, hidden messages in films, the work of Stanley Kubrick and a conspiracy theory about the moon landing.
370. In Conversation with Rob Ager from Liverpool (PART 1: Life in Liverpool / Interest in Film Analysis) Rob Ager has built his own career as a film critic on YouTube. Now he sells his own documentaries about films on his website. This conversation explores the subjects of his home town of Liverpool and how he became interested in films.
369. Pokémon GO – It’s just a game, OR IS IT? Talking about this global phenomenon, including a description of the game, the pros and cons, the issues of safety, personal data and what the future could look like with augmented reality.
368. The LEP Annual General Meeting 2016 / QUESTIONS Dealing with a number of points, including a language point about time expressions such as ‘annual’ and ‘biannual’, LEP meet-ups, the transcript collaboration and a comment from a vampire.
367. Talking about Nothing with Alex Love (Invaded by Robot Aliens) PART 2 The second half of my conversation with comedian Alex Love, including references to his Edinburgh Festival show, Dogma film-making and English teaching, and my chicken dinner.
366. Talking about Nothing with Alex Love (Invaded by Robot Aliens) I talk to comedian Alex Love about his show at the Edinburgh Festival, and the Skype call gets invaded by robot aliens while we talk about portmanteau words and getting hungry and angry at the same time.
Quick Hello / Notting Hill Carnival Audio Just a quick episode to let you know that I’m still here and to play you the audio track to a video I made at the Notting Hill Carnival.
365. BREXIT: 3 Weeks Later (A conversation with my Dad) An update on the situation in the UK since the EU referendum three weeks ago. Listen to my Dad give his comments and analysis. Some vocabulary is highlighted and written on the page. This is probably the last episode about politics for a while.
364. TEN TOP TIPS for Learning English Some more motivation and advice for learning English effectively.
363. Muhammad Ali & The Rumble in the Jungle A biography of Muhammad Ali and the story of one of the most dramatic and memorable fights of his career. Listen for specific descriptions of boxing techniques and comments about the historical significance of this extraordinary person.
362. Getting things off my chest! (Part 2) Brexit / Football A two-hour rant about the Brexit situation and the Euro 2016 competition.
361. Getting things off my chest! (Part 1) Brexit / Football A two-hour rant about the Brexit situation and the Euro 2016 competition.
360. THE DAY AFTER BREXIT (Thoughts and feelings) Last night the UK voted to leave the EU. Here are my thoughts and feelings.
359. BREXIT JOKES / EU REFERENDUM NIGHT The EU referendum is happening tonight, so I wanted to record some of my stand-up material that I’ve written about Brexit and make some predictions.
358. Fête de la Musique / World Music Festival in Paris Join my wife and me as we walk around our local area in Paris during the annual music summer solstice music festival. You’ll hear commentary, interviews, live music and Luke singing Luther Vandross!
357. Learning Languages with Olly Richards Another conversation with Olly, who is a polyglot from England. Olly speaks 8 languages and has lots of good advice for learning languages. In this conversation we talk about accents, pronunciation and other considerations in learning English.
356. News / Football / Brexit / Events in the UK / Jo Cox Some more news and views about the EURO 2016 football, the EU referendum and recent tragic events involving Labour MP Jo Cox who was murdered in England this week.
355. EURO 2016 Football: Hooliganism & Violence in Marseille / England vs Russia Discussing the European Football Championship which is happening in France, including some descriptions of the violence between English and Russian football hooligans and the match between England and Russia.
354. Would You Rather…? (with Amber, Paul & James Simpson) I am joined by podcast friends Amber, Paul and James Simpson. You’ll hear the results of the interactive lying game from episode 343, then we play a speaking game which involves asking each other some ridiculous hypothetical questions, just for fun.
353. Award Ceremony / Paris Weather / Crazy Idea Some news and general rambling about the ELTon awards, floods and lightning in Paris and a crazy idea about doing live podcast recordings in different locations around the world.
352. BREXIT: Key Vocabulary and Concepts I explain and clarify some important vocabulary relating to the Brexit debate.
351. BREXIT: Should the UK leave the EU? (A Conversation with my Dad) I talk to my Dad about the UK’s referendum on EU membership. We discuss some of the main issues and arguments and give our personal opinions.
350. Film Club: X-Men Apocalypse (Review) An episode of Luke’s Film Club. This time I’m making fun of the new X-Men film. Listen for a film review, some comedy and some improvised comments about the X-Men.
349. Who’s the best superhero? (with Paul Langton) My mate Paul used to collect comic books so he knows all about superheroes. I asked him to describe the main characters from the Marvel universe and then decide which one is the strongest. Watch out for descriptive vocabulary to describe personal qualities, abilities and weaknesses.
348. Film Club: Marvel / Captain America Civil War (Part 2) Talking about Marvel comic book movies, superheroes and a review of a new Captain America film.
347. Film Club: Marvel / Captain America Civil War (Part 1) Talking about Marvel comic book movies, superheroes and a review of a new Captain America film.
346. Rambling on a Friday Afternoon Watch out for some more phrasal verbs and idioms as I share a few more anecdotes about New York, talk a bit about politics (US elections, Trump, Mayor of London, Brexit), mention Leicester City FC and rant about Google Adverts (deja vu?)
345. ELTon Award Nomination / Phrasal Verbs & Idioms / Brooklyn / The Revenant / Museum of Natural History & More News about an award nomination for LEP, a movie review of The Revenant with Leonardo DiCaprio, a trip to Brooklyn, an adventure in the American Museum of Natural History and some phrasal verbs and idioms to look out for.
344. A Totally Terrific Talk on the Terrace with The Tangential Trio (feat. Tom Morton) Another free-flowing conversation on the terrace with Amber & Paul. This time we’re joined by actor and voice-over artist Tom Morton. Topics of conversation include: The Queen’s birthday, the death of Princess Diana, what British people think of the monarchy, and more…
343. The Interactive Lying Game (with Amber & Paul) / Descriptive Adjectives with T / Three is a Magic Number Amber, Paul and I play the lying game based on questions from listeners. I go through some descriptive adjectives beginning with T to help you come up with a superhero team name for the three of us, and there’s a song about the magic number 3.
342. Paul’s “La Bise” Video Success / Audition Story (with Amber & Paul) Amber & Paul and I talk about Paul’s hit youtube video about French kissing habits, his newfound success as a stand-up (he’s the hottest kid in town), some online abuse he’s had and then an anecdote about an audition that we attended recently, which involved a surprising misunderstanding about accents. There’s also a brief language focus on using relative clauses with ‘which’ to extend your sentences when speaking. Enjoy!
341. Catching Up With Amber & Paul, Again Listen to a natural conversation between native speakers of English. This episode features the return of podcast friends Amber & Paul as we sit on the terrace in the sunshine, catch up on news and respond to comments from listeners to the podcast.
340. LEP Photo Competition Results & Winners / It’s LEP’s 7th Birthday Who won the photo competition from episodes 313 and 327? Also, let’s celebrate the 7th birthday of the podcast and create some nicknames for my listeners. :)
339. A Murder Mystery Detective Story (Part 2 of 2) Here’s the conclusion of this two-part mystery story in English. Listen to the murder mystery story, analyse the evidence, solve the crime and learn English while doing it!
338. A Murder Mystery Detective Story (Part 1 of 2) Join me as I play a text adventure game about a murder mystery. Listen as we discover the story together, make some choices based on evidence and try to piece together the solution to a murder. Test your listening skills and your deductive reasoning. (Link provided so you can play the text adventure too)
I was interviewed by Olly Richards on his podcast, called “I Will Teach You a Language” and we talked about language learning If you enjoyed episode 332 of LEP you should listen to this one too. It’s available on Olly’s website (links provided in this post). Olly asked me about what I’ve learned after teaching English for 15 years and podcasting for 7 years. Together we reflect on how attitude, time, practice and material are crucial in learning a language effectively.
337. MURDER MILE WALKS: Stories of London’s Most Infamous & Shocking Murders [Some Explicit Content + Swearing] Conversation about swearing on TV, followed by some gruesome true stories about crimes from London’s history. Not for the faint-hearted!
[VIDEO] I was invited onto Craig Wealand’s weekly Blab, and we talked about comedy This is a video of the conversation I had with Craig Wealand and some of his listeners on Blab recently. We talk about comedy and humour.
336. Drinking Scottish Whisky at a German Business Meeting While Wearing a Kilt and Playing a Flute… and other stories (with Carrick Cameron) A conversation with a friend about Scottish and English accents, kilts, scotch whisky and some funny stories about drinking experiences in different countries.
335. VOCABULARY REVIEW: Phrases & Expressions from Episode 334. A chance to fully understand words and phrases you heard in episode 334. I clarify and explain lots of vocabulary, and have some fun with the examples.
334. Interview with Craig Wealand (from InglesPodcast) A relaxing conversation with a fellow English teacher and podcaster who lives in Spain.
My interview with school kids from IES School in San Fernando, Spain I was invited onto a school radio show in Spain and was interviewed by a group of children. Listen to their questions and my answers. I think it’s quite sweet!
333. More Misheard Lyrics ♬ Have fun listening to some more songs with ambiguous sounding lyrics. What are the singers of these songs really saying?
332. Olly Richards: English Polyglot – Top Advice and Strategies for Language Learning An interview with a professional polyglot. Listen to hear some top tips for learning another language as an adult. Tons of motivation and inspiration for pushing your English even further.
331. How’s your English? (and why speaking is so important) Instructions on how you can push your English to new levels with LEP, and some details about my new sponsor – italki, which is a really great service that you can use to arrange conversations with native English speakers online from the comfort of your own home, and why as a listener to this podcast, you should check it out. Full transcript available.
330. Let’s Play… Grand Theft Auto 5 (and learn some English while doing it) A multitasking episode in which I play GTA5 and describe what’s happening, and talk about the history of Grand Theft Auto.
329. A Rambling Chat with James (News, Stories, Jokes) My brother visited me in Paris and while he was here we recorded this conversation in which we talk about differences between London and Paris, doing stand up comedy for the first time, the EU referendum, the US presidential elections, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, eagles vs drones, mosquitos and why women yawn more than men. Also, Jim tells his talking dog joke.
328. Cooking with Luke – Verbs and Expressions in the Kitchen I teach you verbs and expressions for cooking while preparing a delicious chicken dinner in the kitchen – recipe available. :)
327. The LEP Photo Competition – Please check out the photos and vote Learn some key vocabulary and grammar for describing photographs, and check out photos of people around the world listening to LEP in different situations.
326. Catching up with Oli / Future Predictions (Part 2) A chat with my cousin Oli about the future and the arrival of his new baby daughter. What will the world be like for her in the next 10-20 years? What kind of father will Oliver be?
325. Catching Up with Oli / Future Predictions (Part 1) A conversation with my cousin Oli. We talk about some difficult experiences he’s had over the past few years, and then look to the future.
324. David Bowie (Part 2) Everything you need to know about British musician David Bowie.
323. David Bowie (Part 1) Who was David Bowie and why was he such a significant artist? What did he mean to me personally, and how did I feel when he died this week?
322. With The Thompsons Listen to to some warm conversation with my Mum, Dad and brother at Christmas time.
321. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens – SPOILER REVIEW I’m joined by my brother and we have a very geeky conversation about the new Star Wars film, with all our fan theories and favourite moments. Warning: Spoilers!
320. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens Listen to me read a version of this classic Christmas story.
319. Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens – Reaction (No spoilers!) Join me as I walk to the cinema to see the new Star Wars film and then listen to my friends and I giving our reactions afterwards. No spoilers.
318. The Rematch (Part 2) with Amber & Paul Listen to your favourite podcast guests play another speaking game and try to guess if we’re lying or telling the truth.
317. The Rematch (Part 1) With Amber & Paul Will Paul finally win a game on this podcast? Listen to find out.
316. British Comedy: Tim Vine (Part 2) More jokes from comedian Tim Vine, explained.
315. Do me a favour – Take my Business English Survey!
314. Luke’s Guided Sleep Meditation Follow every word I say and I will help you to fall into a deep and relaxing sleep, if you can stop laughing.
313. British Comedy: Tim Vine Understand a comedy routine by celebrated British comedian Tim Vine. Can you understand all his jokes? Let me help you.
312. The Words of the Year (Part 3) Amber, Paul and I talk about some new words which were added to the Collins dictionary this year.
311. The Words of the Year (Part 2) Learn some new language, and listen to some discussions and anecdotes related to these words.
310. The Words of the Year (Part 1) In all 3 of these episodes I explain and clarify a lot of what we say in these funny conversations so that you can learn, laugh and understand everything.
Attacks in Paris Paul Taylor was just a few meters away from one of the shootings that took place in Paris this week. He tells me all that he saw and what happened.
309. The Lying Game (Part 2) With Amber & Paul Here’s part 2 of this speaking game with Amber and Paul. Listen until the end to hear me explain how I use this game in my English classes (hello teachers).
308. The Lying Game (Part 1) With Amber & Paul Amber, Paul and I play another speaking game. Can you guess if we’re lying or telling the truth? Listen carefully.
307. The Mystery of Corporate Jargon & Management Speak (Part 2) I’m joined by Paul Taylor as we discuss specific words and phrases used in the world of business.
306. The Mystery of Corporate Jargon & Management Speak (Part 1) Why do people use these phrases, and why do so many people hate language like this? And, what is bullsh*t bingo?
305. Back To The Future (Part 2) Talking about time travel and the complex paradoxes of the story of Back to the Future.
304. Back To The Future (Part 1) It’s Back to the Future day, so this episode is all about one of my favourite films of all time. Let’s review the plot of this classic film.
303. The Battle of Britain What happened over the skies of England during World War 2, and how were Polish fighter pilots involved in Britain’s survival against the nazis?
302. Bad Dentist / Star Wars / Adam Buxton / Headphone Jams / Jarvis Cocker More news, stories and fun stuff for you to listen to.
301. David Cameron & The Pig / Bad Gig Story / Who is Ronnie Pickering? Some news about the UK, some anecdotes and funny nonsense.
300. EPISODE 300 (PART 2) Listen to messages from previous guests on LEP, some fun impressions of famous characters and more.
300. EPISODE 300 (PART 1) I can’t believe I’ve done over 300 hours of Luke’s English Podcast!
299. The Bank Robbery (Part 2) Listen to native speakers planning a bank robbery in this fun simulation.
298. The Bank Robbery (Part 1) A speaking exercise with native speakers. How will Amber, Paul and Sebastian plan the perfect bank robbery?
297. Using Humour in the IELTS Speaking Test (With Jessica from All Ears English) Some very useful advice for the IELTS speaking test with Jessica from AEE podcast. Give your speaking some personality and humour.
296. Learning Comedy is like Learning a Language A conversation with Paul Taylor about his experiences at the Edinburgh fringe festival, and how learning to do comedy is similar to learning to speak a foreign language.
295. California Road Trip (Final Part)
294. California Road Trip (Part 7)
293. California Road Trip (Part 6)
292. California Road Trip (Part 5) featuring an interview with A.J. Hoge from Effortless English.
291. California Road Trip (Part 4)
290. California Road Trip (Part 3)
289. California Road Trip (Part 2)
288. California Road Trip (Part 1) A journey through California, with history, stories, American & British English, analysis of song lyrics, book recommendations and more!
287. VOCAB BATTLE!!! WITH AMBER & PAUL (exciting title) Fun and games with Amber, Paul and some natural English expressions.
286. The Wedding Episode My listeners wanted me to talk about it, so I have – this episode is a description of my wedding day. <3
285. Ten More Fixed Expressions A funny episode in which I test Paul Taylor on his knowledge of vocabulary, and we teach you some more expressions.
An Experimental Live Video Podcast on Periscope Have a look at this video of me on Periscope.
284. Questions from Tea4er.ru (Part 2) Some more questions from Russian teachers and students.
283. Ten Fixed Expressions A fun game in which I test Paul Taylor’s vocabulary and we teach 10 natural expressions.
282. Questions from Tea4er.ru Some questions from Russia on a variety of topics.
281. Misheard Lyrics A funny episode in which we listen to some song lyrics and try to understand exactly what the singers really mean.
280. The UK’s Favourite Superstitions An episode about the most common superstitions for people in the UK.
279. Marcus Keeley / Northern Ireland / Accent (Part 3) An interview with comedian Marcus Keeley about accents that you can hear in Northern Ireland – learn what a Belfast accent sounds like.
278. Marcus Keeley / Northern Ireland (Part 2) Talking about life in Northern Ireland, the part of the UK that foreign people don’t often visit.
277. A Chat with Marcus Keeley from Northern Ireland (Part 1) A conversation with comedian Marcus, who comes from Northern Ireland.
Survey: What kind of episodes of LEP do you prefer?
276. Q&A Session #5 More questions about English from LEPsters, answered by Luke.
275. The Phrasal Verb Chronicles #2 Another improvised story, featuring another 50 phrasal verbs that I’ve taught in episodes of A Phrasal Verb a Day (my other podcast)
274. Q&A Session #4 I answer more questions from LEPsters.
273. The Bad Haircut Situation Part 2: More Role Plays & Improvisations Amber, Paul and I do some improvised comedy and demonstrate ways of dealing with awkward situations in English.
272. The Bad Haircut Situation How should you give compliments, accept compliments and give bad news politely in English? Listen to this funny discussion to hear what Amber, Paul and I think.
271. Catching Up with Amber & Paul A really funny and friendly conversation with my friends Amber and Paul on a very hot and sunny day in April.
270. UK General Election RESULTS What happened? Who won? What does the results mean?
269. UK General Election 2015 (Part 2) Who is going to win the next election, and how will that affect the UK?
268. UK General Election 2015 (Part 1) Everything you need to know about UK politics and this big moment for the UK.
267. Earthquake in Nepal + other news Please consider helping the victims of the earthquake.
Luke’s TV Appearance on France24 I was on TV talking about the UK’s general election. It was a bit awkward.
266. Telling Jokes in English (Part 3) Understand the psychology of jokes, and listen to some more jokes and their explanations.
265. Telling Jokes in English (Part 2) What are some typical joke structures? What makes a joke funny? Listen to lots of jokes, and understand their meanings.
264. Telling Jokes in English (Part 1) What are jokes? How do we tell jokes in English? How do you respond to jokes?
263. Past, Present & Future A chance to really understand the tenses in English, with lots of context.
Luke’s Interview on InglesPodcast I was invited by Craig onto his podcast – you can listen to it here :)
A Message from Luke Just a little letter from me to you.
262. What is Britishness? (Part 2) Exploring notions of British identity – how do British people define their own identity?
261. What is Britishness? (Part 1) Exploring notions of British identity – how do people view the UK from the outside?
260. Kingsman: The Secret Service This is a review of an action movie set in the UK.
259. Eulogy for Dennis My grandfather Dennis died, and this is my tribute to him and his life.
258. Award Win / Thank You / Poem I won another competition (thanks to your votes) and so I wrote a poem to express my gratitude.
257. Be Positive A rambling episode about why it’s important to think that the cup is half full.
256. Reading Books in English (and listening to them too) How reading books, or listening to audiobooks can really help your English.
255. Taken 3 / Expressions with ‘Take’ I saw the latest Taken film, and this is what I thought! Also, learn some vocabulary with the word ‘take’.
254. IELTS Tips & Tricks Lots of advice for people who are taking the IELTS test.
253. Rapping with Fluency MC! An interview with Jason Levine – the English teacher who uses hip-hop to teach English. I ask Jason about his teaching methods Jason does some rapping, live on the podcast. And you’ll hear me rapping on the podcast too. WORD.
252. Marooned With My Music: James Thompson An interview with my brother about his life and his favourite music.
251. Welcome to LEP / 16 Things You Should Know about LEP An introduction for new listeners to this podcast.
250. Marooned With My Music: Gill Thompson An interview with my Mum about her life and her favourite music.
249. News / LEP Merchandise / Messages Some news about LEP, and how you can buy merchandise with the LEP logo.
248. Marooned With My Music: Rick Thompson An interview with my Dad about his life and his favourite music.
247. Understanding The USA An in-depth and humourous discussion about the USA with Sebastian Marx. The aim of the episode: understand American values in more depth.
246. Flight Stories Let’s listen to some funny stories about travelling by plane, and understand why the stories are funny.
*Video – One of Luke’s Stand-up Comedy Gigs A video of me performing stand up comedy.
245. Merry Christmas! (+more) + Video A rambling episode with video about Christmas and other things :)
244. Urban Myths What are some common urban myths and strange beliefs, and are they true or false?
243. A Life-Changing Teaching Experience in Ghana An interview with my friend Mike Bruce who recently was part of an amazing training mission in a remote part of Ghana.
242. 11 Idioms Only Brits Understand (really?) What does this article about British English really say about British people? (And do we really say these things?)
241. Star Wars Everything about the films I have loved since I was a child.
240. Politicians Avoiding Questions Let’s listen to the way politicians avoid difficult questions in interviews.
239. Prepositions: Verb Collocations More detailed information about prepositions in English, focusing on collocations with verbs, and then an improvised story featuring lots of ‘verb + preposition’ collocations.
238. Prepositions (Part 1) An introduction to prepositions in English.
237. OPP: Other People’s Podcasts (Part 2)
236. OPP: Other People’s Podcasts (Part 1) I recommend some of my favourite podcasts.
*My Appearance on the Talk2Learn Chatcast I took part in a discussion on the chatcast.
235. British Slang (N to Z) Learn some slang, rude words and aspects of British culture.
234. Making “Choons” with My Brother Talking to my brother about how he makes music.
233. YEP! Winner A conversation with Edgar from Mexico, who won my recent podcast competition.
232. YEP! Runners Up (Part 2)
231. YEP! Runners Up (Part 1) Some chat by Skype with podcast listeners from around the world.
230. Can You Learn a Language in 6 Months? We analyse and discuss a TEDx talk by Chris Lonsdale and evaluate the question – is it really possible to learn a language in just 6 months?
229. Zombies! (Part 2) Listen to me take a zombie survival test, with a language focus on conditional sentences.
228. Zombies! (Part 1) A halloween special about zombies in popular culture. Why are there so many zombie movies and TV shows? What is the significance of zombies in our culture?
227. Sausages, Barcodes & Apple Watches A ramble challenge – can I keep talking, with no preparation, for 30 minutes without pausing or repeating myself?
*My Video Interview with Gabby Wallace from “Go Natural English” Gabby interviewed me for her YouTube project.
226. On a Boat Listen to a funny conversation with my comedian friends Alex, Moz and Paul while drinking beer on a longboat in North London. Learn some swear words and euphemisms! (Some rude content)
225. Film Club: “Taken” What do I think of the film Taken, starring Liam Neeson (clue: I can’t take it seriously)
224. Pronunciation: Verb Tenses & Connected Speech Learn how native speakers really pronounce sentences in different tenses.
*Please Consider Donating to Lepra.org.uk A recommended charity.
223. YEP! Competition Winners Who won the YEP competition?
222. Luke’s Late Night Podcast Join me as I do a live DJ set while talking about the music I’m playing.
*Video: Playing Around with Accents in English A video of me copying various accents in English.
221. A Cup of Tea with Corneliu Dragomirescu (Part 2)
220. A Cup of Tea with Corneliu Dragomirescu An interview with film-maker Corneliu about learning English, growing up in Romania and his love of movies.
219. Scottish Independence Everything you need to know about the Scottish independence movement, some Scottish accents and arguments for & against Scotland leaving the UK.
218. YEP! Competition Entries #8
217. YEP! Competition Entries #7
216. YEP! Competition Entries #6
215. YEP! Competition Entries #5
214. YEP! Competition Entries #4
213. YEP! Competition Entries #3
212. YEP! Competition Entries #2
211. YEP! Competition Entries #1 Listen to listeners of the podcast and vote for your favourite message! (voting now closed)
210. A Cup of Tea with Noman Hosni An interview with the very funny Swiss/Iraqi comedian Noman Hosni who shares his hilarious experiences of learning English and travelling to London to perform comedy.
209. Travelling in Indonesia (Part 2)
208. Travelling in Indonesia (Part 1) A full account of my adventure in Indonesia with my girlfriend.
207. Competition Inspiration Some ideas for my listeners.
206. Summer in London (Part 2) Let’s visit some of my favourite areas in central London, and discover some funny little details that you might not notice if you’re a tourist.
205. Summer in London (Part 1) Join me as I walk around the streets of central London on a hot summer day in August.
204. Quick Hello: Competition Update & More News
203. The Flatmate from Japan An interview with my old flatmate from Japan, Peter from Manchester. What’s it like for a British ex-Pat living in Japan?
202. British Comedy: Monty Python & The Holy Grail One of the UK’s favourite comedy films, explained. Learn about politics, British mythology, monarchy and anarchy all at the same time!
*My Interview on Zdeněk’s English Podcast I was interviewed by superfan and podcaster Zdenek on his podcast.
201. Nikolay Kulikov: A Russian Comedian in London An interview with a Russian stand up comedian who travelled to the UK and Ireland to perform stand up comedy. What does he have to say about learning English, Russian stereotypes and real life in the UK?
200. New Competition: “Your English Podcast” Announcing a new competition for listeners to this podcast.
199. The UK/USA Quiz Molly and I test each other on our general knowledge of the USA and the UK – do you know the answers to our questions?
198. A Cup of Tea with Molly Martinez A fun conversation with comedian and writer Molly Martinez from the USA.
197. World Cup 2014 (Part 6: Final Comments)
196. Cycling from Coast to Coast Another interview with Ben Fisher from Lincolnshire, who this time has cycled the whole length of France. What happened during his adventure? Listen to find out.
195. British Comedy: Monty Python’s Flying Circus A more detailed introduction to Britain’s favourite comedy group, and an explanation of the classic Dead Parrot Sketch.
194. World Cup 2014 (Part 5: More Forum Comments) Comments from listeners about the world cup.
193. Culture Shock: Life in London (Pt.2) Dealing with common problems experienced by foreigners visiting London.
192. Culture Shock: Life in London (Pt.1) Explaining some strange aspects of life in London.
191. Culture Shock: The 4 Stages How does it feel to have culture shock? How can you deal with the experiences of living in another country?
190. World Cup 2014 (Part 4: Dad’s Memories of 1966)
189. World Cup 2014 (Part 3: Your Comments)
188. World Cup 2014 (Part 2: England & The Dark Side of the World Cup)
187. World Cup 2014 (Part 1: The Basic Guide) A special series about the World Cup.
186. Understanding Culture Shock with Lindsay & Gabby I’m joined by Lindsay and Gabby from All Ears English and we talk about culture shock experiences.
185. The Trip to New York A full account of my short holiday in the Big Apple.
*Welcome to the New Website – teacherluke.co.uk I’ve got a new website :)
184. Luke’s D-Day Diary (Part 2)
183. Luke’s D-Day Diary Join me as I travel to Normandy in northern France to take part in the D-Day commemoration and meet Eddie Izzard.
182. Learning English with Yacine Belhousse A chat with the hilarious French comedian Yacine Belhousse about learning English and performing stand up comedy in another language.
*My Interview on the All Ears English Podcast – Talking about humour, comedy and how to tell jokes in English I was featured on the All Ears English podcast with Gabby and Lindsay, talking about telling jokes and being funny. You can listen to it here.
181. Vocabulary & Expressions from Episode 180 Lots of vocabulary and other explanations of language you heard in episode 180.
180. Dislocated Shoulder A conversation with my brother James about how he dislocated his shoulder in a skateboarding accident.
179. The Ramblings of an Exhausted Teacher I’m exhausted after a sleepless night and countless hours of exam marking – what has happened to my mind?
178. I’m Still Here A rambling episode in which I give you some recent news and talk about various things.
*A Letter to My Listeners
177. What Londoners Say vs What They Mean Here are some of the typical things that Londoners say, and explanations of what they really mean.
176. Grammar: Verb Tense Review A complete review of all the main verb tenses (past, present and future) in English.
175. The Phrasal Verb Chronicles #1 An improvised story featuring 50 phrasal verbs that I’ve taught in my other podcast “A Phrasal Verb a Day”.
174. How to Learn English with Luke’s English Podcast Some top tips for using this podcast to improve your English, and a tour of my apartment.
173. The Curse of The Lambton Worm A fantasy story from English folklore, improvised on the podcast.
172. British Comedy: Peter Cook & Dudley Moore An introduction to British comedy legends Pete & Dud.
171. A Cup of Tea with Daniel Burt (Part 2) More conversation with Daniel about Australia, Australian accents and typical Australian English.
170. Basking in My Moment of Glory LEP won another competition!
169. A Cup of Tea with Daniel Burt (Part 1) An interview with a comedy writer from Australia.
168. Please Vote! (and stuff like that) Asking you to vote for me in another competition.
167. Memory, Mnemonics & Learning English Techniques for improving your memory for effective language learning.
166. The Prawn Story A funny improvised story about a prawn who gets lost in the ocean.
165. English Premier League Football A chat with my mate James Simpson about English football.
164. Transcript Collaboration How writing transcripts for L.E.P. is good for everyone!
163. Skype Chat with My Brother I talk to James over Skype about some of his favourite British films.
162. Having Babies: Vocabulary / A Male Perspective Vocabulary for talking about babies and childbirth, and some comments from the male point of view.
161. She’s Having a Baby An interview with Amber Minogue, pregnant with her first child, about pregnancy and childbirth.
160. The A to Z of Christmas I’m joined by Raphael from Liverpool as we chat about everything you need to know about Christmas in the UK.
158 & 159. A Cup of Christmas Tea with… Paul Taylor The first time Paul Taylor has been on the podcast. Paul’s a comedian who works for Apple. We get to know Paul and talk about typical Christmas in the UK. Paul and I copy different accents in English.
157. A Cup of Coffee with… Sarah Donnelly (Part 2) Sarah answers listeners’ questions from Facebook.
156. British Comedy: Ali G An introduction to the hilarious British comedy character Ali G.
155. A Cup of Coffee with… Sarah Donnelly An interview with American comedian and language teacher Sarah Donnelly.
154. British Slang (H to M) Learn some more British slang phrases, and find out more about the real UK.
153. The Talking Dog Story Another funny improvised story, this time about a talking dog.
*Doctor Who Episode – Language Analysis A guest blog post with language analysis of an old episode of LEP. All done by top English teacher Richard Gallen.
152. I’m leaving Podomatic… and moving to Audioboo.fm The podcast now has a new audio host. How can you find it? And how will this affect the podcast? (It should make it better)
151. Google Questions I try to answer some of strange questions that people have typed into the Google search engine.
150. British Slang (D to G) Learn some British slang phrases, and learn more about the real UK.
149. Backing Up Into The Cloud A ramble about everything and nothing, and using hot-air balloons to save your data in the sky (or not)
148. British Slang (A to C) Learn some British slang phrases, and learn more about the real UK.
147. Idioms and Expressions from Episodes 145 & 146 Lots of idiomatic language and other vocabulary from the previous two episodes, explained and clarified.
146. Nightmare Teaching Experiences (Part 2)
145. Nightmare Teaching Experiences (Part 1) Some stories about difficult teaching experiences, and what I learned from them.
144. The Chaos of English Pronunciation The poem which almost nobody can read because it contains all the most difficult-to-pronounce words in the English language. I (try to) read it.
143. A Cup of Tea with… Robert Hoehn A (slightly controversial) conversation with my American friend Robert from Minnesota!
142. The Annual General Meeting (Part 2)
141. The Annual General Meeting (Part 1) A (simulated) meeting with stakeholders in LEP. Discussion and funny rambling on different topics.
140. Ghost Stories Some strange, scary and mysterious personal accounts of ghosts and the unexplained.
139. Hard Driving Vocabulary about cars and driving, all taught while driving a Mini through Paris.
138. Discussing Movies (Part 2)
137. Discussing Movies (Part 1) Discussion about movies with a film studies student called Henry, with vocabulary for discussing films.
136. Cycling from London to Paris An interview with Ben Fisher – a cyclist and his story of cycling through England and France.
135. Raining Animals “It’s raining cats and dogs” – Do Brits usually say this? Vocabulary for talking about heavy rain, and discussion on the phenomenon of animals falling from the sky.
134. The Story of Salvo An interview with some friends about the rise and fall of our punk rock band.
*Old Comments Box Archive Read comments from listeners from my old website on Podomatic
133. Hip-Hop Lyric Analysis Talking about hip-hop music and discussing the lyrics to the track “My Mind’s Playing Tricks On Me” by Geto Boys.
132. Pronouncing ~ed Endings (with Added Romance and Horror) How to pronounce -ed Endings in English, and a funny romantic story (with a bit of horror too).
131. Rickipedia My Dad, Rick, answers questions from listeners on Facebook.
130. A Cup of Tea with… Sebastian Marx An interview with American comedian Sebastian Marx, about learning French and what it’s like to be an American in Europe.
129. A Cup of Tea with… Pierre Gaspard An interview with a French friend about how he learned English so well.
128. Luke’s Stand-Up Comedy Show Listen to me doing 25 minutes of stand up comedy on stage in Paris.
*Mini Podcast – Feeling Nervous Just some vocabulary about feeling nervous.
127. Computer Games My personal history of computer games, from the earliest games like Pong and Space Invaders, to modern classics like Zelda and GTA5.
126. Your Emails, Comments and Questions I answer more questions from listeners about English and other things.
125. The Pink Gorilla Story A funny story about a pink gorilla, completely improvised!
*Another Award-Winning Year! I won another award for Luke’s English Podcast!
124. James Bond Discussing the cultural phenomenon of OO7, with some vocabulary.
*Thanks for Voting / Downloading Problems
123. What’s Been Going On? Some descriptions of recent news events.
*Competition Time Again!
122. The End of the World? Debunking some of the conspiracy theories about the end of the world.
121: Americanisms (Part 2)
120. Americanisms Why do Brits have a problem with the way Americans use English?
119. First Impressions of Life in Paris Some descriptions of what life is like for an Englishman in Paris (that’s me)
118. Sick in Japan The true story of how I ended up in a hospital bed in Japan.
117. Psychics / Cold Reading / Barnum Statements Some sceptical discussion of mind reading and psychics, with some interviews.
116. Could it be you…? Does the profile I’m reading in this episode sound like your personality?
115. A Chat About Music James and I drink some beer and interview each other about our musical memories.
114. Twelve Natural Expressions Some fun conversation and vocabulary teaching.
113. Setting The World To Rights A deep discussion in a pub with my colleague Eamon.
112. Vocabulary Review – Episodes 1-11 A chance to review some of the vocabulary from the first 11 episodes of this podcast.
*111. Thanks for your comments And another one :)
*110. A Letter from Luke Another note from me to you.
109. Friday Night Banter (aka The Slightly Drunk Episode) Slightly drunken nonsense and fun with my comedy mates.
*London Olympics 2012 (Video) Interviews with Londoners at the 2012 Olympic Games.
108. In Bed with Luke Just a news update about what’s been going on recently with my kitchen and my move to France, recorded ‘on’ a bed (not ‘in’ one, actually)
107. Messing Around with Accents and Voices Kate and I have fun copying lots of different accents and discussing accents and voices in general.
106. Brighton Fringe Festival #3
105. Brighton Fringe Festival #2
104. Brighton Fringe Festival #1 A funny series of episodes with comedians Alex Love, Paul Langton and Moz, recorded at the Brighton Fringe Festival.
103. The Queen and The Royal Family I answer lots of common questions about The Queen and the recent diamond jubilee.
102. Competition Winners Who won the LEP competition?
*101. A Note from Luke A letter from me, with some recent news.
100. Going To The Pub Everything you need to know about going to the pub in the UK! With James.
99. The Rotary Sushi Bar of English Another ramble challenge! This one features lots of thoughts about food from around the world.
98. Luke vs Oliver (Part 2)
97. Luke vs Oliver (Part 1) Comparing, contrasting and discussing many different things, with Oliver.
94 – 96. Competition Entries Listen to competition entries from some listeners around the world.
93. Weird… or just different? A discussion with James and Aaron about cultural differences around the world.
92. UK Royal Family Opinions – Video (Part 2) [TRANSCRIPT]
91. The A to Z of Random Thoughts A funny ramble about many different things with topics from A to Z.
90. Competition + Phrasal Verbs A, B + C Details of a competition and some phrasal verbs.
89. A Day In The Life A description of my typical daily routine, in immense detail.
88. How To Play The Drums Learn the rudiments of playing the drums like a rock star, in English.
87. 6 Idioms and 6 Phrasal Verbs Oli and I teach you some vocabulary.
86. Criminal Law A discussion with my cousin Oli about a complex and mysterious criminal case.
85. A Stand-up Comedy Gig Listen to me talk about how it feels to perform stand up comedy.
84. Luke’s English Braincast A discussion with my brother about recent news stories.
83. How to Swear in British English – VERY RUDE CONTENT The complete guide to all the rudest words in British English!
82. Voting / Elections / Politics / Government Vocabulary and information about the political system in the UK, and a comedy sketch.
81. What Makes a Great Teacher? A guest-post and audio episode about good teachers.
80. Essential Social English Some of the most important things you need to know in every day situations in English.
79. Family Arguments and Debates Listen to my family playing speaking games and discussing various topics.
78. Christmas – It’s all about Family A funny conversation with my brother about Christmas and lots of other things.
77. Bear vs Shark Some speculation about an imaginary fight between two evenly matched opponents, and a stand up routine.
*VOTE FOR LUKE’S ENGLISH PODCAST
76. Mind The Gap – How to use the London Underground The real Londoner’s guide to everything you need to know about using the tube.
75. Not a Distraction! Rambling on about various things, including the benefits of listening to LEP.
74. UK Royal Family Opinions – English Interviews in London Interviews with native speakers in London about the royal family.
73. Steve Jobs All about Steve Jobs, recorded the day after he died. Why was Steve Jobs such a success?
72. The Cheese Episode Another ramble challenge for fun!
71. The Ice Cream Episode A ‘ramble challenge’ in which I have to keep talking (rambling) for as long as possible without any preparation.
70. Language and Music An interview with Francis – guitarist and language teacher – about the connections between learning music and learning a language.
69. Common Errors / Typical Mistakes Some of the most common errors I’ve ever heard as a language teacher, and their corrections.
68. Childhood / Growing Up / School Days – Phrasal Verbs and Expressions Talking about childhood experiences, with a language focus on phrasal verbs and other vocabulary.
67. Cockney / London Accent Listen to an interview with a cockney actor and learn about his accent.
66. Top Advice for Learning English / Idioms with ‘say’ / Culture Shock Some advice for learning English, some more idiomatic expressions and some comments about culture shock.
65. London Video Interviews Pt 5
64. London Video Interviews Part 5 (Video)
63. German and British Cultural Identity – Paco Erhard interview part 2 More conversation with Paco about Germany and Britain, and cultural stereotypes.
62. Learning English – Advice from a German comedian living in London An interview with Paco Erhard a German stand up comedian who speaks really good English.
61. 127 Hours / ‘Hand’ Idioms All about the movie directed by Danny Boyle, the true story of the film and idioms with the word ‘hand’.
60. The King’s Speech / ‘Mouth’ Idioms All about the Oscar winning movie with Colin Firth about King George VI, an interview with a stammerer, and some idioms related to the word ‘mouth’.
59. Billy Connolly Interview / More Scottish Accent Listen to an interview with Glaswegian comedian Billy Connolly and consider his accent.
58. Scotland / Scottish Accent An interview with Leslie about Scotland and the way Scottish people speak English.
57. Birmingham Accent / 12 Phrasal Verbs with the letter ‘A’ An interview with my friend Neil, comments about the Birmingham accent and some phrasal verbs.
56. British Accents and Dialects Lots of information about the different accents you can hear in the UK. Listen to me copy accents from around the country.
55. Mini Podcasts Collection 1 A selection of short recordings about budget cuts, a haircut, Banksy and how to make a good cup of tea in the UK.
54. Halloween / Guy Fawkes Night Cultural information about 31 October and 5 November in the UK.
53. Discussing Grammar with My Brother How much does my brother know about grammar? The answer – not as much as you do.
52. London Video Interviews Part 4
51. Luke Answers Your Emails and Questions Answers on a range of different topics and language areas.
50. Good Things Come To Those Who Wait Vocabulary and expressions related to being patient
49. Stand Up Comedy An introduction to stand up comedy.
48. Useful Expressions for Travelling How to talk about your travelling experiences when you’re on holiday.
47. Travelling in Vietnam Descriptions of my holiday in Vietnam.
46. I’m on Holiday! I’ll be back in a couple of weeks
45. Luke & Andy’s Crime Stories A funny conversation with my friend Andy in which we share some anecdotes about low-level crime.
44. Telling Anecdotes How to tell anecdotes and personal stories in English. Listen to authentic English and learn some key language.
43. Notting Hill Carnival Video Frustration (Out-takes) Just some funny outtakes from the Notting Hill Carnival video.
42. London Video Interviews Pt 3 (Audio)
41. London Video Interviews Part 3 (Video)
40. Health / Feeling ill – Phrasal Verbs & Expressions A funny episode featuring lots of vocabulary about feeling unwell.
39. Subtitles in Videos (Video) A video with some comments and advice on watching videos without subtitles.
38. London Video Interviews Part 2 (Audio)
37. London Video Interviews Part 2 (Video)
36. London Video Interviews – Part 1 (Audio)
35. London Video Interviews – Part 1 (Video) A video featuring native speakers in London. This video has over 1 million views on YouTube.
34. Promo Video: Coming Soon – Native English Speaker Interviews (no longer available)
33. Money Money Money – 12 Phrasal Verbs & more… Vocabulary and chat about money matters.
32. Doctor Who Everything you need to know about one of the UK’s favourite TV shows.
31. Hello! / Argument Sketch Another quick message and a comedy sketch.
30. The Mystery Continues… Listen to me tell the rest of the mystery story from episode 29.
29. Mystery Story / Narrative Tenses A very popular episode – learn narrative tenses and listen to a short mystery story (especially for the Doctor Who and Sherlock fans out there).
28. Interview with a Native Speaker – The Weather A funny conversation about the weather with a teenager from London called Chris.
27. British Weather (Lots of exciting vocabulary!!!) All the vocabulary you need to talk about the weather in the UK!
26. Are you a good learner of English? Important advice for how to be an effective learner of English.
25. Notting Hill Carnival – 40 Phrasal Verbs A video diary about the Notting Hill Carnival, with 40 phrasal verbs.
24. Music Idioms Learn some idioms related to music in this funny episode.
23. Summer Music Festivals Everything you need to know about the culture of music festivals in the UK, and some vocabulary.
22. Full Interview with Vicky from China The rest of the interview with Vicky.
21. Learning English with Podcasts – Advice from a Chinese student at Oxford University An interview with a Chinese student studying at Oxford – talking about how to use podcasts to help your English.
20. Beware of Bad Pronunciation Making fun of a viral video featuring someone doing a bad British accent.
19. Passive Verb Forms A news story about Michael Jackson and then some essential grammar about passive verb forms.
18. 10 More Phrasal Verbs Listen to a business meeting with Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro and Sean Connery and learn 12 phrasal verbs.
17. Hello To My Listeners Around The World I respond to questions and comments from listeners around the world, including various questions about learning English.
16. Michael Jackson Interviews with my friends about the king of pop.
15. Extra Podcast – 12 Phrasal Verbs Learn 12 really useful phrasal verbs.
14. British & American Pronunciation Listening to a talk about international English, then a language focus on differences between British and American pronunciation.
13. Video Podcast – I LIKE IT! A vocabulary lesson on 16 alternative ways to say “I like it”.
12. Extra Podcast – Quick Hello 3 Another quick message and a comedy sketch with transcript.
11. Men vs Women Interviews with my friends Nick, Howard, Shirley and Michelle about differences between men and women, and the book “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus”. The language focus is on vocabulary used during the interviews.
10. Extra Podcast – Quick Hello 2 [TA] A quick message from me, some information about Monty Python’s Flying Circus and a comedy sketch.
9. Travelling in India [TBP] A conversation with my friend Ben about travelling experiences in India, with a language focus on expressions used during the conversation.
8. Dating and Relationships [TA] Vocabulary for talking about dating and relationships, and a comedy sketch.
7. Susan Boyle [TA] Talking about the reality TV pop star Susan Boyle, and a language focus on idioms to describe personality.
6. Vampires! [TA] A lecture on the myth of the vampire in modern popular culture, with a language focus on vocabulary to describe emotions.
5. Joaquin Phoenix [TA] A conversation with my friend Howard about the actor Joaquin Phoenix, and a language focus on using modal verbs for speculation.
4. Extra Podcast – Quick Hello [TA] A quick message from me and a comedy sketch.
3. Music/The Beatles [TA] An interview with my Mum about The Beatles
2. Easter / Interview with my Dad / Language Focus: Adverbials [TA] An interview with my Dad about Easter and his childhood, with a language focus on using adverbials like “hopefully” and “apparently”
1. Introduction [TA] Who is Luke? What is Luke’s English Podcast? How can it improve your English?